Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So I decided recently that I wanted to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, being a classic in the Sci-Fi novel category. It is a wonderful marriage of my love of Science Fiction and Brittish humor (which is usually signified by strong satire, sarcasm and irony - it's a wonderful tihng).
So I went to Border's on Saturday, picked it up and have begun to read it and am having a blast so far. Here's an excerpt simply to show how utterly ridiculous it is:
"But Mr. Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."
"Oh yes, well, as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."
"But the plans were on display..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well, the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice, didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.' "


Genius...I give it a "thumbs up" (get it?). By the way, Border's is haveing a sale with a 25% discount for "Educators." I qualified for it as a Youth Pastor, so Scott and Don, if you were wanting to buy some books, now's a good time!

No comments: